Pages

Friday, May 13, 2011

I Love You Without Knowing How


I'm so happy to have come across this on a friend's blog. This poem is featured in a close friend's favorite movie, Patch Adams. She showed the movie to me over a year ago and it is a fantastic story. My friend is currently studying to become a doctor, and told me that this film was part of what inspired her to pursue this dream. This film certainly strengthened me in the pursuit of my own dream. 
Although we each go about it in a different way, she and I both seek to heal the human being, she the body, me the soul - both essential aspects of the human person, as I hve realized through my philosophy class over this past semester, particularly in my reading of C.S. Lewis. When I was on the brink of my audition to the sacred music program, quaking in my shoes, she pulled out one of the best quotes from the film to encourage me: 
"How many fingers do you see?"
I didn't understand what she was getting at one bit, so naturally, I gave the same response Patch gives in the film:
"Four."
To which she replied:
"No, no! Look beyond the fingers! Now, tell me what you see. You're focusing on the problem. If you focus on the problem, you can't see the solution.
Never focus on the problem!"

Thanks, ranger, for being such an amazing friend!

No comments: